Friday, January 20, 2006

Earth and Heaven

Continuing to read Amy Carmichael, and am struggling through a few thoughts this evening. In one of the meditations, she speaks of "trivial" things in our lives that we sometimes let sidetrack us from the real purpose of our lives, serving God. Essentially she is saying that there's nothing wrong with "recreation" or various pastimes in our lives, as long as they will not cause a leakage of spiritual power. She also adds that certain things that might be fine for one person (would not cause them to be distracted, or led astray, or lead to addiction...these are my words here, not her's, but I think they capture the gist of what she means) might not be fine for another person in a different situation or with a different temperament. Again, I'm paraphrasing and extrapolating, but I think this is what she's getting at.

And I appreciate that insight. In fact, I think it's a good one to ponder, to use for reflection when we're involving ourselves in a lot of time and effort in any kind of activity -- does this help or hinder my spiritual growth? My relationship with God? My "gladness and singleness of heart" to quote the Book of Common Prayer?

At the same time, I wrestled a bit with her continued reflections on keeping ourselves separate from the world. She writes "Those of us who are God's emissaries are to treat the world (not just its corruptions, but its legitimate joys, its priveleges and blessings also), as a thing to be touched at a distance...It is not that He forbids us this or that indulgence or comfort; not that He is stern, calling us to a life of harsh asceticism, as if that would make Him more pleased with us. No, it is that we who love our Lord, and we whose affections are set on the things that are heaven for us today -- we voluntarily and gladly lay aside things that charm the world, so that we may be charmed and ravished with the things of heaven."

What she is saying, I think, is that our allegiance is to a "higher Kingdom" (as she calls it later on) and my heart resonates so deeply with that. My heart also resonates with the reality that as the people of God, made for eternity, we will always in some sense be wanderers and exiles on earth, with no permanent home. On the other hand, and this is where my more sacramental understanding of life comes into play, I am a created creature living in a good (though fallen) creation, and I am an encultured being. All that I know and understand and can meditate on concerning heaven and ultimate things and the Kingdom (and what all that is like) is mediated to me through the "stuff" of this world -- creation, yes, but also words and pictures (especially the inspired words and pictures of the Scriptures). Earth and heaven are deeply connected, made by the same good God, and though "sundered" now deeply connected again by the incarnation, death and resurrection of Jesus. I keep thinking of Jesus telling Nathanael how he would see heaven open, and angels ascending and descending on the Son of Man (a passage I heard a sermon on last week). Jesus came to earth to open heaven, and to himself be that "ladder," that "bridge" between the two. And because He came, we know that there will be times and places in our lives, even here in exile on earth, where we will know, like Jacob who had that first vision of the ladder of angels in Genesis, that "surely God was here in this place and I did not know it."

Not that I think Amy Carmichael would have any problem with what I'm saying. And I've wandered far afield. I think her general point is very sound; she's clearly not advocating a full retreat from the world, nor an ascetic kind of withdrawal from the world, simply a cautious and careful drawing back from the "vain things that charm (us) most" and threaten to pull our attention from the ultimate realities that really do matter most. It's probably a word I need to hear more than I realize, living in such a deeply materialistic culture, a culture that spends all its time and energy worrying about and worshipping the things we can see, and either ignoring, debasing, or deciding that the things which we can't see are simply "not there."

In the world, but not of it. Just passing through, and yet called to passionately love. Walking carefully, and yet trusting lavishly. Loving the gifts, but never satisfied fully with anything less than the Giver. That seems to be our call.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Have you ever heard the song "If I Stand," by Rich Mullins? It's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, and I'd all but forgotten about it until reading this, about appreciating the beauty of the world around us but not losing sight of its origin. Really a gorgeous song. If you've not heard it you should check it out, but the lyrics are as follows:

There's more that rises in the morning
Than the sun
And more that shines in the night
Than just the moon
It's more than just this fire here
That keeps me warm
In a shelter that is larger
Than this room

And there's a loyalty that's deeper
Than mere sentiment
And a music higher than the songs
That I can sing
The stuff of Earth competes
For the allegiance
I owe only to the giver
Of all good things

CHORUS:
So if I stand let me stand on the promise
That you will pull me through
And if I can't, let me fall on the grace
That first brought me to You
And if I sing let me sing for the joy
That has born in me these songs
And if I weep let it be as a man
Who is longing for his home

There's more that dances on the prairies
Than the wind
More that pulses in the ocean
Than the tide
There's a love that is fiercer
Than the love between friends
More gentle than a mother's
When her baby's at her side

And there's a loyalty that's deeper
Than mere sentiments
And a music higher than the songs
That I can sing
The stuff of Earth competes
For the allegence
I owe only to the Giver
Of all good things

CHORUS(2x)

And if I weep let it be as a man
Who is longing for his home

Beth said...

Oh Erin, I love this song. I hadn't thought of it in years, but as soon as I started reading the lyrics, I could hear it all in Rich Mullins' voice. I think this was probably my favorite song of his earlier work. I have it on cassette tape somewhere -- I'll have to dig it out and see if it still works.

I'm so glad you posted this. Thank you! It's made me want to go listen to Rich Mullins again. Do you know his final album, *The Jesus Record*? Powerful...

I also love *Liturgy, Legacy and a Ragamuffin Band.*

Erin said...

We just have one of his albums. Can't remember which one off-hand, but this song is on it. I'll have to pull it out again. Glad you like the song too!

Beth said...

If you can get a hold of a copy of *The Jesus Record,* I highly recommend it. It's actually two CDs. The first is what's called the *Jesus demos.* Rich had just recorded a batch of new songs a few days before his very unexpected death. The songs were just sung by him in an old, empty church, just his voice and a piano and a not very good recorder. They've been cleaned up digitally but they still sound very homemade.

The second CD has the songs done again, in studio, by his band after his death (and it includes some friends who wanted to sing in tribute to his memory).

The songs on the second CD are excellently done, but it's the demos I go back to again and again. There is something tremendously touching and vulnerable, hearing Rich sing these songs (which I think include some of the best he ever wrote) in such a personal, joyful, yearning and prayerful way, just a few days before he actually went home to be with the One to whom he was singing.