Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Happy Birthday, A.A. Milne!

Yes, it's the anniversary of A.A. Milne's birthday. He was born 124 years ago today, January 18, 1882. We celebrated this morning by reading some of his wonderful poems in Now We Are Six. I also posted a review of that book on the epinions website, where I'm an active reviewer. If you want to check it out, it's entitled "Now We Are Six (Or Perhaps One Hundred and Twenty-Four)" and can be found at http://www.epinions.com/content_217924275844

I think Booper's favorite poem in the collection is "Sneezles" but then it's hard not to get the giggles over lines like: They said, "If you teazle/A sneezle/Or wheezle,/A measle/May easily grow./But humour or pleazle/The wheezle/Or sneezle,/The measle/Will certainly go."

I checked out a couple of websites on Milne as I was writing my review, and discovered something interesting: he studied under H.G. Wells! There's a literary connection I would have never made. (I wonder if there's a literary version of the movie game "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon..."!)

1 comment:

Erin said...

Hooray for A. A.! (Milne, that is...) That poem reminds me of the book "Never Tease a Weasel." Ever read it? It's a cute one, and I think we have it lying around the house somewhere...