Sunday, June 04, 2006

"Open My Eyes That I May See..."

Tonight at family prayers, we got out some of our older Bible verse cards we hadn't done in a while. One of them was Psalm 119:18, which reads "Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law..."

When we first started doing these cards with the Boop, probably a year or so ago, she wasn't talking much yet. I used picture prompts to help her learn the Scripture verses, and our usual method of reviewing them was for me to read the whole verse and just pause before the key word or phrase that was pictured on the front of the card and that we wanted her to be able to remember. This particular card has a picture of a face, a person with very vivid eyes, and the key word was "eyes."

We hadn't done this one in a while, so I went ahead and read the first two words "Open my..." and paused. "Eyes," my little daughter said quickly. I went on to "that I may see..." and decided to pause again to see if she'd remember the last words of the verse. She paused for a moment, and then said, quite simply "good things about God."

And I felt astounded. More astounded really than if she'd remembered the actual words. Every once in a while, in a parent's life, comes a happy and beautiful moment when you realize that the things you're striving to teach your little ones are actually sinking in and taking root. "Good things about God" -- those are exactly what we are praying that her open eyes are learning to see, wherever she goes. I felt proud and humbled and very, very thankful.

Happy Pentecost!

No comments: