Sunday, September 24, 2006

Deep Peace...

Deep peace of the running wave to you,
Deep peace of the flowing air to you,
Deep peace of the quiet earth to you,
Deep peace of the shining stars to you,
Deep peace of the gentle night to you,
Moon and stars pour their healing light on you,
Deep peace of Christ the light of the world to you.
(A Gaelic Blessing adapted from an old Gaelic rune)


I'm listening to an absolutely lovely CD this evening: Gloria: The Sacred Music of John Rutter. It's a new discovery and I'm basking in some of the wonderful arrangements of beautiful praise.

The sweet girl is beginning to want to sing. I think because she learned to talk so late, she was extra shy of ever joining in with songs...although we've always been a singing family, and D. and I have both sung to her a lot for years. She loves music and has always enjoyed it, been soothed by it, loved moving to it. But it's only been in recent months that she's begun to join in and trying to sing. I especially love hearing her on praise songs, when she gets excited and raises her hands and looks up with a shining light in her eyes. Some of her favorites right now: "I Love You, Lord" and "As the Deer" (which she makes us all hold hands to sing, including her dolls and bears, because as she earnestly says "it's a very special song").

I too love to sing, and need to do it more! And this Rutter music is definitely feeding a music and praise hunger in me right now.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Nice blessing. :) And there is something really wonderful about singing, isn't there? And singing together; when I was little we always used to put on the record player and sing along, and sometimes Dad played his guitar. That was a lot of fun! :)

Beth said...

Nice memories! We always had music at our house when I was little: mostly record player, but sometimes "live." My oldest sister played the piano and my middle sister played clarinet for a while. I tried my hand at the clarinet for about a year when I was 10, but never got very good.
:-)

I wish I could play guitar, or -- even better! -- mandolin. I've been longing to learn to play the latter for years, but just haven't had the opportunity. So for now, we'll keep singing a capella!