Monday, October 02, 2006

Literary Dates to Celebrate (from Late September)

I've been remiss in posting some important literary anniversaries and birthdays -- I was much better about doing so in the earlier months of the year!

And the last week of September had several dates worth noting and celebrating. September 26 was the birthday of both T.S. Eliot (b. 1888) and George Gershwin (b. 1898). I often remember that date because almost twenty years ago, when I lived with my oldest sister in Connecticut, she and I celebrated it with a candle, and a reading from Prufrock while listening to Rhapsody in Blue! I keep meaning to try to repeat the fun of that afternoon, but have yet to do it! Maybe some year when she and I are together together (I say wistfully...)

September 30th also marked the "first edition" anniversary of Louisa May Alcott (published 1868). I've been re-watching the 1994 film version of Little Women in honor of that (though I didn't realize the date at first...autumn just always feels "Alcott-ish" to me) and enjoying it immensely, though I am having to watch it in snippets of time.

A very 19th century/early 20th century feel to the last week of September!

5 comments:

Erin said...

Eliot and Gershwin... That's a neat combination! As for Alcott, coming to think of it I don't think I ever actually read "Little Women," though I did see the '94 movie and read "Invincible Louisa." I definitely need to read it one of these days...

Beth said...

Oh my! I loved, loved, loved "Little Women" (did I mention I loved it?). It was the book I read most often between the ages of 9 and about 16.

I'm trying to work on a review of the 1994 film, which I think is the best adaptation out there but still has some difficulties. I'm a slowpoke though, especially on reviews right now.

I don't think I've read "Invincible Louisa." Who wrote it?

Erin said...

Somebody named Cornelia Meigs. At the time - in fifth grade - I thought it was an exceptionally long and difficult book, but it was pretty interesting too!

Beth said...

Hmmm...I will have to see if I can find a copy sometime. I love all things Alcott. One of my favorite vacation memories of all time was when we spent a couple of autumn days in Concord, MA and visited Orchard House, the Alcott's home where Louisa wrote *LW.* It's an incredibly literary town. We visited Alcott's grave as well (which has a veteran's marker, since she served as a nurse in the Civil War) and of course there are also sorts of other literary landmarks around pertaining to Hawthorne, Emerson and Thoreau. Great place to visit -- I hope to go back sometime!

Erin said...

Sounds really neat. I had a teacher in high school who used to take students on a trip every few years to New England to stop by literary landmarks. I wasn't able to go but it sure sounded cool!