Thursday, March 22, 2007

Bauer's New Book

In a neat bit of synchronicity, Susan Wise Bauer's new book The History of the Ancient World: From the Earliest Accounts to the Fall of Rome has its official publication date next Monday, my birthday. Sounds like a great book, and her usual wonderful work. It's actually already available from booksellers, which I don't quite understand since the official publication date isn't until Monday, but that's okay. I can still claim it as a cool thing that happens to be happening on my birthday! (which also happens to be the birthdate of Robert Frost...more synchronicity.)

Susan Wise Bauer is the author of The Well-Trained Mind, the book probably more than any other that cemented my desire to homeschool. I read it years ago, before the sweet girl was born. And while I don't think I am going the completely classical route in our homeschool venture, I've learned much by contemplating the classical pattern of the "trivium" (grammar, logic, rhetoric...for more, see here) as a way of approaching educational foundations.

I'm debating whether I want to read Bauer's new book first, or backtrack and read her History of the World series (written for 9-12 year olds) which came out several years ago. Hmm...time to go poking around on inter-county loan at the library and see what's available.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Hooray for helpful books, synchronicity and birthdays! Boy, it's that time already... Hope you have a grand and wonderful day for it. Maybe spring will show its face just for you! ;)

Beth said...

I know, I can't believe spring is here at last...and it's almost Easter! I'm trying not to think to hard about the birthday...39...gulp! ;-) Ah well. As my wise father always says..."another birthday? sure beats the alternative!" ;-)

Beth said...

Ummm...I meant "too hard" not "to hard." Senior moments...already?