Monday, July 16, 2007

Constant Vigilance!

Be warned. The wonderful and trustworthy Sword of Gryffindor site has let it be known that there is a good possibility that major plot has actually been leaked from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. According to them, the leak doesn't appear to be a hoax, though we can always hope. Even a hoax would be a terrible ethical breach, but at least people wouldn't be stumbling across actual story in advance.

According to SoG, it appears that someone stole a copy from a library (librarians were allowed to catalog the books early) and posted major portions of the book (actual scanned pages) to the internet.

Just posting this for all you who love HP books and have no desire whatsoever to find out in advance what will happen. Be very vigilant about what websites you visit over the next few days. Hogwarts Professor, Sword of Gryffindor, Mugglenet and Leaky Cauldron are all trustworthy -- no one there is going to allow spoilers. (Edited to add: someone who left a comment at SoG indicated it would be good to extra vigilant if you're visiting Mugglenet, because they don't seem to be editing comments very carefully. And someone indicated they saw possible spoilers on Wikipedia. Bizarre!)

If this turns out to be true, it's such a shame, a violation of both author and readers. I'm sorry it had to mar what should have been (and hopefully will still be, in some respects) a fun final week of communal anticipation and expectation.

My friend Erin says it's too bad Hermione's "SNEAK" hex isn't in effect here, and I agree. And oh, wouldn't it be nice if Madame Pince (patron dragon lady of all librarians) could get hold of whoever it was who decided to do this and give them about a hundred years of detention with Argus Filch.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Ooh, you know, I wasn't even thinking about Wikipedia, and now that you mention it I really need to stay away from there! I was just there today, double-checking the spelling of "Diggory"; good thing it was a character who isn't going to come into the finale...

Beth said...

Glad you didn't stumble onto spoilers!

Did you ever realize that "Diggory" is a major character in the Chronicles of Narnia? Yet one more nod to Lewis...

Erin said...

Yes, that's a pretty cool connection! :D

Beth said...

One of my favorites! I have a feeling JKR loves Lewis far more than she lets on. Some of her later comments about his work seem to contradict some of her earlier comments, but I have a feeling she's gotten tired of people trying to put her in a Lewisian (or other kind) of box. No doubt he was a big influence though. And I love Digory Kirke (I think the Digory is Lewis is spelled with one g, though I'm not sure if I'm remembering that rightly...?)

Erin said...

Yeah, I think it's one "g" too; that's why I was second-guessing myself on the spelling of Cedric's name...