Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Finally Fall

October got off to a very hot and summery start. Although I confess I tend to dread winter a bit, I love the weeks of fall weather that precede it, and I was a bit saddened that it still felt so hot and dry and August-like during the first week of October.

Then we walked out of our front door this morning and woosh! A crisp wind scuttled across the sidewalk and came rushing up to us with the jubliant feel of autumn. It even SMELLS like fall today! We were happy to go back for a jacket for the sweet girl.

I love autumn days. This afternoon felt just perfect for drinking a cup of tart cherry tea (sweetened with a bit of Agave Nectar, my newest find at the health food store) while cooking up a big pot of lentil soup for the young adult group that meets at our church this evening. The sweet girl is not a soup eater, but I think she enjoyed all the good cooking smells too. She peeked into the pot and said wistfully, "I wish I could go to the young adult group tonight so I could have some of that soup!" (Yes, I will save out a small bowlful for her...) Somehow lemon juice, garlic, thyme and tarragon all smell better in the fall. Onward to cornbread...

4 comments:

Erin said...

...and apple crisp! Now it's definitely the right time for it. We meant to make it last week, but I'm glad we waited because nothing warms you up like apple crisp. I didn't quite appreciate the cold today since I stepped out my front door this morning in a short-sleeved shirt and no time to change, and it was quite a bit colder still when I left work at 5:30. But now that I can adjust my wardrobe accordingly, bring it on! :)

Beth said...

I'm with you, Erin! I didn't take a jacket with me either, when S. and I went for a walk -- we went back for her's, but I thought it was probably still warm enough to be in shirt sleeves. Hee. The joke was on me -- the sun promptly went behind the clouds and the wind kicked up even more. I was shivering, but hey, I'm loving it.

Enjoy your apple crisp! Our cornbread was great (I made sure to make two pans of it so we could have one at home while the young adults ate the other at church!)

Martha said...

Hi, Beth,
It's a gorgeous fall day here.... chilly, crisp, sunny, with leaf color at full force, and leaves falling and blowing everywhere. I popped into your blog, to see what you were writing about... and feel inspired to enjoy this lovely fall day with you in spirit. You're so right about how certain spices and foods just taste and smell better in this weather!

Beth said...

Mmmm...remember the ratatouille we made the autumn we lived together? That was...how many autumns ago? 20! And yet I remember it like it was yesterday! :-)

I miss you, Marthy. And I'm so glad you popped by, dear sis!