Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Two For the Christmas List

On a blog called Endless Books, I think it's perfectly acceptable from time to time to talk about books I haven't read yet, but certainly would love to.

In that vein, here are two books for my Christmas list, or at least my ongoing book wishlist.

Planet Narnia by Michael Ward looks utterly fascinating. Ward argues that medieval cosmology underlies the Chronicles, giving them a "symbolic coherence."

I'm also interested in A Walk With Jane Austen (well, who wouldn't be?) by Lori Smith. It's a combination of Austen musings with spiritual memoir. Sounds a bit like "Girl Meets Jane." Sign me up!

What's on your booklist for Christmas this year?

4 comments:

Erin said...

Hmmm, good question! Those both look intriguing. I'm really jazzed to read Steve and Me, though I've got it on reserve at the library so I'll probably have read it by Christmas. I'm way excited about Lemony Snicket's crazy new Christmas/Hanukkah book, The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming - which came out a couple weeks ago and still isn't in our store! Alas, it's starting to look like poor Lemony's ship has sailed...

Beth said...

Hmm, now that is odd! That Snicket's book hasn't hit the shelves yet, I mean. Although who can fathom the mind of publishers these days? I went looking for a copy of Alan Jacobs' *The Narnian* the other day and actually thought for a while that it had gone out of print already, which seemed utterly impossible. It hasn't (thankfully) though I think the only in print edition currently is paperback. That does mean, however, hardbacks are going cheap, cheap, cheap (don't I sound like a bird?!) from used sellers, which makes me happy.

Who wrote Steve and Me?

I'm really enjoying your review of new Christmas picture books!

Erin said...

I'm really enjoying reading all those Christmas books! ;) I just love this time of year... The Narnian is another one I really need to read one of these days. Steve and Me is the memoir that Terri Irwin wrote about her life with the crocodile hunter. I saw an interview with her on Good Morning America talking about it a couple weeks ago. I've been really impressed with Terri from what I have seen of her, and it sounds like a very personal and moving book.

Beth said...

Oh, that does sound good. I wondered if that was the "Steve" it referred to. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it!