Thursday, July 24, 2008

I Wonder If They Have High-Speed Access...

Last night we were reading Anne Rockwell's Becoming Butterflies as a bedtime story. The sweet girl has been loving this book, which contains a very clear description of metamorphosis.

I confess I was zoning a bit toward the end. It had been a long day and I was tired. I've been battling a sore throat, a recurring ear problem, and somehow strained my ankle yesterday and had to strap it so I could walk around with major limping.

There's a long "author's note" at the back of the book, which of course we're not allowed to skip. :-) I was reading through it on automatic pilot, especially the paragraphs that talk about where you can go to find out more information about monarch butterflies. Picture me reading along, trying to keep my voice bright and energetic:

"The California Monarch, however, doesn't migrate to Mexico, because the weather doesn't turn too cold for it to survive. A Web site that tells a great deal more about Monarchs is: www.MonarchWatch.org or you can E-Mail them at monarch@ukans.edu --"

The sweet girl suddenly perked up, like a puppy cocking her head.

"How," she said with wonder, "do you E-MAIL MONARCHS?"

2 comments:

Erin said...

Ooh, I wanna e-mail a monarch! :D

Sorry to hear about your ankle, throat and ears bothering you. :-\ Hope they all are back in tip-top shape again soon!

Thank you very much for the Erie postcard! You're right, I think that's a first for me! ;) Supposedly, Erie has the second-best sunsets in the world - though I have no idea how you would measure something like that... Sunsets over the lake are certainly among Dad's favorite photographic subjects!

Beth said...

Yea, I wanna email monarchs now too. :-) Never a dull moment around here!

My throat and ankle are better. I think the problem with my right ear is just becoming chronic/recurring, and there's not much I can do about it. Thanks for the well wishes though!

I love Erie sunsets. It really is beautiful at Presque Isle. We had such a wonderful time. I have a Presque Isle postcard of my own propped up on the desk to remind me of our lovely mini-vacation!