Thursday, August 21, 2008

Pride and Prejudice: The Musical

I've been on a major Pride and Prejudice kick in the past few weeks. I re-watched the 2005 film version (which I'm still planning to review) and as always, that made me snicker in all the wrong places and made me long for the real thing. So I took the book down from the shelf, intending to just read a couple of favorite scenes, and instead got sucked into the delight of page one and read the whole lovely book again. I love beloved books that feel like old friends who never cease to amaze you with their wit and insight.

Loving the book made me go back to the great film adaptation from 1995. I've been having to do a lot of cutting and pasting this week on projects for VBS, so watching the movie felt like a real treat.

In the midst of all that, I paid a quick visit to Austen Blog, where I read a post that referenced Pride and Prejudice...the musical. Surely, I thought, someone is joking. But apparently not. If you click here, you will discover the web page for P&P on Broadway. Still in the works; looks interesting and a bit giggle-worthy. I rolled my eyes over the fact that it was called a "compelling investment opportunity." Huh...Jane Austen, for all her preoccupation with economics, would likely smile enigmatically over that one.

I even downloaded a snippet of one of the songs (called "Lizzy's Song"). With my ancient computer, I only got to hear about two lines. Hmm...it can't be much more over the top than than Bride and Prejudice, right?

At any rate, P&P the musical kept playing in my mind. As I was falling asleep that night, I kept coming up with potential titles for musical numbers. I must have worked on it in my dreams because when I woke up the next morning, there they all were, ready for me to jot down in my journal. I've only come up with potential numbers for the first half of the show so far. Here they are...enjoy!

POSSIBLE MUSICAL NUMBERS FOR PRIDE AND PREJUDICE: "THE MUSICAL" (totally tongue in cheek list)

Opening number: "Netherfield is Let at Last" (ensemble piece with all Bennets, some townspeople acting as the chorus. Their refrain could be "Five thousand a year!")

"I've Grown Acquainted With Your Nerves" (acerbic Mr. Bennet sings of his relationship with his wife, a la Henry Higgins. My title pays homage to Higgins' final ballad, but I'm thinking the tone of this one would be more akin to "I Shall Never Let a Woman in My Life!" A fine sentiment for Mr. B, who has a half-dozen women in HIS life...)

"He's an Amiable Man" (Jane sings of her first impressions of Mr. Bingley)

"What Do the Country Folk Do?" (Darcy and the Bingley sisters snidely speculate about the local folk in Hertfordshire following the opening ball)

"Let Her Ride in the Rain" (Mrs. Bennett shows off her matrimonial scheming for her girls)

"Never to Dance with Mr. Darcy" (brief interlude sung by Elizabeth, in a spirited style)

"Extensive Reading" (Darcy's first big solo number...I wanted to call this "Fine Eyes" but alas, the real production seems to actually have a song by that name!)

"The Most Honourable Lady Catherine de Bourgh" (Mr. Collins gets his big number, a la Gilbert and Sullivan, in honor of his noble patroness)

(Don't Like to Complain, But...) "That Man Has Done Me Wrong" (George Wickham sings the blues)

"Red Coats, Red Coats!" (a fun little ditty sung by Lydia and Kitty)

"Almost as Soon as I Entered This House/My Feelings Forbid It" (a duet by Lizzy and Collins)

"All I Ask is a Comfortable Home" (a quiet, wistful ballad by Charlotte Lucas)

"He's Quit the Neighborhood" (the neighborhood chorus shares their surprising news about Bingley)

"Decided Opinions" (Lady Catherine's warbling solo...I'm sure if she had studied music, she would have been a proficient!)

And the big finale...."It Will Not Do" (a Darcy/Lizzy duet, where they sing their way through the first proposal scene)

Who knows...I may yet get inspired to come up with possible titles for the second half. Or even try my hand at lyrics!

4 comments:

Erin said...

Ooh, please do, on both counts! I got a big grin out of your track list for the first half! I want to see P&P the Musical as imagined by Beth!

I love musicals, so I'm certainly intrigued by the idea of this. Of course, it probably won't be in movie or community theater form for quite a while... Hopefully they'll have a cast recording though! Someone locally wrote a Jane Eyre musical, and it was actually performed on two different occasions but I missed it both times. It sounded really interesting... I'd love to see Lord of the Rings one of these days, but it sounds way too expensive for our playhouse to pull off, plus the reviews I hear were not very complimentary...

Beth said...

Hee! Erin, you're too kind! I'm glad you enjoyed these, and I promise you'll be the first to see any lyrics I might pen. :-)

Jane Eyre the musical makes me giggle too. Somehow I can picture it better as a pop opera. "What's that sound?" "Whaaatttttttt sound?" "Thaaaaat sound! Upstairs! It sounds just like...a mad woman in the attic!"

Sorry if I seem a little giddy. We finished VBS this morning and I'm now galloping through final write-up on the program to give to parents at this evening's closing. Then on to prepare for school on MONDAY!

Janet said...

I'd come see your "Pride and Prejudice" musical for sure! Love it!

Beth said...

Great! Two tickets sold already. Three if you count my husband. :-) Maybe I should start working on those lyrics!