Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Saturn's Moons and the Eastern Bluebird's Song

Good links from science studies this week...

The site whatbird.com has all sorts of information about birds: illustrations, photos, written descriptions, range maps, interesting facts, and recordings of bird calls. Here's the one we looked at today for the Eastern Bluebird. It's a virtual field-guide and a great accompaniment to our current reading in the Burgess Bird Book for Children.

Hubblesite, the website for the Hubble telescope, posted this amazing picture of Saturn and four of its moons just a few days ago. You have to really zoom to see two of them. The sweet girl was in awe of this photo and so were her Dad and I. Obviously we're getting a jump on 2nd grade earth science!

I poked around Hubblesite a bit more and was excited to see that they post photos regularly. You can also search their archives by category. A great site!

4 comments:

Erin said...

We got a new bird feeder a couple weeks ago, and the birds have really been taking advantage of it. I'm also loving the cardinals that keep roosting in our birch tree. One of the great things about Spring!

That picture of Saturn is pretty spectacular!

Beth said...

Yes, it's an amazing picture!

I wish we had a birdfeeder (or to be more accurate, a yard in which to put a birdfeeder). I'm sure the cardinals in the birch tree are gorgeous. Have you snapped any photos?

Erin said...

Alas, no; by the time I grab my camera, they always dash away... Once it gets warmer I may spend some time sitting outside stalking them!

Beth said...

I'd love to see any photos you finally take. :-) I've been wishing for a better camera lately, and more time to take pictures!