Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Happy Poetry Month!

The blogosphere is buzzing with poetic energy as National Poetry Month kicks off today. I'm especially impressed at the number of sites dedicated to celebrating children's poetry.

You can find round-ups in many places, but I especially want to point you to Karen Edmisten's post here, which has links to Gotta Book's 30 Poets in 30 Days and The April Poem-a-Day Challenge at the blog Poetic Asides. The 30 Poets in 30 Days will present a brand new poem each day from a wonderful children's poet...Jack Prelutsky gets things started today! The Poem-a-Day Challenge presents creative prompts to get your poetry-writing sap flowing each day.

Miss Rumphius Effect is also presenting Poetry Makers, a daily series of interviews with children's poets during the month of April. She already introduced me to a poet I didn't know (just on day 1) and a brand new book that I know my little girl would absolutely love.

As I did last year, I hope to blog this month about some of my favorite poems old and new and why they've lodged in my heart.

Happy Poetry Month!

3 comments:

Erin said...

It's funny - I just responded to your comment on Epinions with a link to the Poetic Asides challenge. 8-) I think I'll give it a shot. Now I'm off to check out Jack Prelutsky; he's always puts a smile on my face! Happy Poetry Month!

Erin said...

Checked out Jack Prelutsky - and he did indeed make me smile! :)

Beth said...

Glad you liked the Prelutsky. S and I read it together this afternoon and it made her giggle. :-)

I should have known you'd already be onto the Poetic Asides challenge. Sounds fun, doesn't it? I may give it a shot too...though I suspect I will not be able to write a poem per day, and I don't know if I'll post all my efforts. I'll send you anything I manage to pull together if I think it's any good. I've had ideas brewing on today's prompt, but no chance to actually write!