Thursday, June 18, 2009

Never Too Early To Plan Your Wedding

For some reason, the sweet girl was thinking about weddings last night.

"Could people decide to have a really short wedding?" she asked me. "Could they just kiss each other and then go have cake?"

And a few minutes later, still thinking about the cake part, obviously, she gave a little sigh of dismay. "Do you have to have cake at your wedding?" she asked, because (as everyone who has ever met her for more than five minutes knows) she DOESN'T LIKE CAKE.

"Of course not," I assured her. "When it's your wedding, you can plan the celebration the way you want it. You could have pie! You could have ice cream!"

"Oh!" she exclaimed, a little gleam in her eye. "Then I think I'll have milkshakes!"

2 comments:

Erin said...

I went to a wedding once where they made a cake-like shape out of glazed doughnuts. I was definitely a fan. I have never been much of a cake person either, though since people have started using that whipped cream frosting instead of buttercream, I'm a bit more of a cake eater. Still, I much prefer pie.

The shortest weddings I've been to have been outdoors - probably figuring that if the weather didn't cooperate, they didn't want to be standing out in the rain for long!

Beth said...

Hmm, a glazed doughnut cake! That does sound interesting! I'll have to tell S...she will be intrigued. :-)

I always seem to go to very long weddings. Especially if I'm in the wedding party, they always seem to go long. One wedding I was in during college was in July -- a really hot, humid day, a terrifically long ceremony, and dresses with crinolines. I remember all of us practicing ways to stand comfortably in our heels before the whole thing started (shifting weight from one leg to another) because we were a bit worried we might faint during the service!