Monday, August 31, 2009

Literary Influences

I've been thinking a lot about literary influences lately. Partly this stems from all the reading I've been doing, especially in the fantasy genre, where more and more I see things bubbling in the giant "cauldron of story" that J.R.R. Tolkien talked about. Sometimes it's difficult to know just who put what in the pot first, or when and how an author added his or her own special ingredients or gave it a unique stir.

I find it fascinating to wonder how certain stories grew, especially when elements jump out as being so similar in tone or atmosphere to another (often earlier) work. Did the author borrow directly? Did the author perhaps read that other work once at a crucial place in their own formation and development as a person or writer? Did they read it over and over and perhaps soak the story in so deeply that they no longer know where that story finishes and their own starts?

Or are the similarities "coincidental" or unconscious? Could it be that author A has never read author B, but they both share a love of author C (or even art or music or poetry D) and that influence has permeated their work in similar ways, giving their very different stories a similar flavor or scent?

Or is it that there really are only so many stories that can be told in this world, despite the huge variety of people who live them and tell them? Could it be that our shared humanity runs so deep that our memories/experiences are more kin than we usually acknowledge?

And how much does shared genre shape an author's choice? If a writer knows that he or she is plowing familiar territory in a certain kind work, do they perhaps choose to draw (or find themselves drawing naturally) on certain images, character types, symbols, and even narrative rhythms?

I find this whole topic fascinating, but I also find myself welcoming the opportunity to widen the discussion of literary influence beyond mere echoes and similarities of content and style. I recently finished a book that does just that: Diana Pavlac Glyer's The Company They Keep: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community.

Although it's not just about Lewis, Glyer's book has joined what I'm coming to think of as my canon of personal favorite books about C.S. Lewis. It's a painstaking and highly readable work of scholarship. More than the meticulous research that went into it, however, and the many new facts I learned about some of my favorite authors, I enjoyed it for its fresh approach to the topic of the Inklings. Glyer asks readers to consider the question of literary influence in much broader perspective than we usually consider it (the context I laid out in the earlier part of this post). She looks at the way community fosters influence, assessing mutual influence by looking not just at similar writing style or writing interest, but by looking at the ways writers in community affect one another as "resonators, opponents/critics, editors, collaborators, and referents." She then proceeds to look at the interaction of the Inklings in light of those categories.

The book gave me much to think about as a reader and a writer, and as someone who appreciates the writing friends and community I have (and longs for more). What role do our writing friends, our resonators, play in our creativity? A far larger role than we might guess, I think.

All of which leads me back to the thoughts that fascinate me about the "echoes" I hear in certain stories. We may never know what lies behind a certain turn of phrase, a choice of image, a decision about a character. But we can be sure that such writerly choices are not made in isolation, even if a writer thinks they're working completely "on their own." There's really no such thing as "on you're own" when you join in the long conversation of creativity that flows down through the ages. When you step up to the pot to create your "own" recipe, you never really start from scratch.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I think it was Harold Bloom who was always talking about "the anxiety of influence". I can't say I'm a huge fan of his, but I definitely get what he was talking about; it's so easy for what I've read to creep into my writing unbidden, and then I'll go back and read it later and think, "Boy, what a copycat I am..."

But that's not to say I think that similarities among authors is necessarily a bad thing. It sort of feels like a friendly wave when I read something and it reminds me of another author I love. Like we're all in this together.

Right now I'm reading, for the first time, Rilla of Ingleside, the last of the Anne of Green Gables books, and I'm struck by some of the parallels I'm seeing between that book and Tolkien. It's interesting because I've read very few books set during World War I, and knowing how Tolkien lived through it himself it's easy to imagine him as one of the young men in the book who goes marching off to war. I'm sure the wartime experience affected both Tolkien and Montgomery very deeply, despite their coming at it from very different perspectives.

Beth said...

Ineresting! I think I read "Rilla" several years ago (I'm pretty sure I did, at any rate) but it must not have stuck with me as some of the earlier books did. I really need to go back and read more Montgomery. WWI happens to be one of my favorite eras to read about (in history and fiction). I think Tolkien and Lewis too were deeply affected by their service.

I love the idea of the "friendly wave." It feels much more like that to me than anxiety (leave it to Bloom to put the anxiety in something). :-) It seems completely understandable to me that writers, steeped as we are in reading & language, will be shaped by the things we've read most.

I think I was about to say something else (no doubt profound...hee) but the sweet girl just got up for the day and is now talking my ear off. My coherent thoughts have flown away for the time being. I'll let you know if they fly back! ;-)