Sunday, October 18, 2009

Poem

I just found out that a very dear man passed away last night. He turned 98 years old yesterday, and he is one of my sister's closest friends (more like family than friend). He was active and vibrant until almost the end. I had the privilege of getting to know him and his beautiful wife many years ago.

Thinking about him today, and about precious friendships and how quickly life passes, even when we're given a longer-than-usual allotment of years. I found myself trying to remember a certain poem about autumn and loss, but I couldn't recall precisely what it was. So I wrote this instead. It's still a rough draft, but from the heart.

******

A poem is on the tip of my tongue.
A friend has died, and it is October,
the season of loss and deepening cold,
rich orange and red, old brown, bright gold.
A poem is on the tip of my tongue,
but images hover, words escape me.
I can’t even recall if it was one I wrote
or one I discovered late one night
in a pool of yellow lamplight
when I couldn’t sleep
because poetry beckoned.
It called to me then, it calls to me still,
a small gem, a careful bit of art,
a tiny but defiant act of will,
a bit of beauty in the midst of grief,
planted in a book, or loose in sheaf.
What did it say? I’m no pretender.
A poem is on the tip of my tongue,
a friend has died, and I can’t remember
what the poem once said.
I only sense that the words were right,
important, precious, the ones
needed now in this time of grief.
The words drifting past like
a red and orange leaf.
Strange how close they seem,
wind-blown, and with a purpose.

~EMP 10/18/09

2 comments:

Erin said...

I'm so sorry about your friend, Beth. What a blessing to have lived such a long, fruitful life - but even 98 years seems too short a time when the time comes.

I really like your poem, and can really relate to the feeling it expresses, of that nagging little something just beyond reach that would bring some relief. I hope that poem finds you, but I'm glad it didn't right away. :)

Beth said...

Thank you, Erin. I think I am feeling most tonight for his wife of so many years -- they just loved one another so deeply and well for so long. She must feel like she's missing part of herself.

I think that's what I was trying to capture here -- that sense of "just missing" something, which is sometimes so akin to missing someONE.

I'm glad the other poem didn't find me right away either. :-)