Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Everybody's a Critic: The "New" Winnie the Pooh

I finally picked up my library hold shelf copy of Return to the Hundred Acre Wood, the authorized "sequel" to A.A. Milne's original Pooh classics. I've only read the introduction and the first story, but so far am cautiously optimistic. David Benedictus mostly seems to "get" Milne's voice and rhythm, and the illustrations by Mark Burgess gently mimic E.H. Shepard's original illustrations. They're also colored with lovely, light washes of color.

I know my friend Erin, Pooh devotee extraordinaire, enjoyed it, but I hear it's not getting very good reviews overall. When my husband picked the book up at the library, the librarian basically told him to tell me not to get my hopes up because the early reviews have been dreadful.

The sweet girl was curious about the book, so I explained to her that this author and artist have been given permission by the people who own the rights to the original Pooh stories, to write and draw more stories like them. I tried to explain the notion of similar styles, and I explained how long ago the original Pooh books were written because I wasn't sure she realized just how old they were (we do love them!).

When she was getting ready for her bath this evening she paused to look at the cover of the book, then said, in a rather disapproving voice, "Why is Piglet's sweater green?"

"What?" I asked, having (I must confess) not noticed this detail of the cover art.

"Why is Piglet's sweater green? It should be pink." And then she added, in a resigned tone, "Maybe the man who drew the new pictures for this new book just didn't know what color Piglet's sweater should be."

I guess everyone's a critic, even my seven year old. That Pooh bar is set pretty high!

4 comments:

Eeyore said...

Hmmm, I think she may be on to something. I hadn't heard there was going to be a new Pooh book. I love the originals, so I'll wait to hear what you think after you've finished. And yes, the bar is set pretty high when it comes to Winnie the Pooh.

Beth said...

I love the originals too, so I was definitely cautious going into this one. Of course there have been so many Pooh stories written in the intervening years, in the Disney line of Pooh anyway, but this is a book that definitely tries to follow in the footsteps of Milne/Shephard. It was actually authorized in some way by Milne's estate, and the author and illustrator are really trying to mimic/celebrate/pay homage to (take your pick?!) the originals.

I read a couple more stories last night, and I'm still on the fence. There's something just a bit "off" but I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it.

It should have dawned on me, by the way, that you are a big Pooh fan! :-) Eeyore is such a wonderful character.

Erin said...

Ha! Good for her; I didn't notice that either! Or maybe he just wanted to expand his wardrobe... I also noticed that the general response to the book seems pretty negative, which makes me wonder if I'm not enough of a purist when it comes to Pooh, or if maybe I was just so down in the dumps after watching Where the Wild Things Are that the cheerful tone of the book enchanted me more than it should have. I'll be interested to see what you think of it when you've finished it!

Beth said...

Hee...I never would have noticed Piglet's wardrobe change either, Erin. Although it occurred to me later that S. is basing her ideas of Piglet's clothes on Disney -- I don't think we have any color illustrations in our original Pooh books.

I'm liking the book, but wondering if Benedictus isn't laying it on a bit thick in his efforts to pay respect to the characters...