Tuesday, March 30, 2010

100 Species Challenge #10: Cymbidium Orchids



Back when I worked in a florist (many, many years ago) cymbidiums were one of my favorite flowers in the shop. I still love them. And I couldn't resist snapping this beautiful photo at the conservatory the other day, where the creamy white blooms seem particularly elegant and lovely next to the variegated leaves behind them.

Cymbidium orchids, it turns out, are fairly hardy. They apparently can make good houseplants (leading me to want to try!) and can survive fairly cold temperatures, unlike some of their more fragile orchid cousins. They come in stunning varieties and colors too.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Beautiful! And I didn't know you worked in a florist shop. That must've been a neat place to work - springtime all the time!

Beth said...

Thanks! I actually worked in a florist shop for several months between college graduation and getting married. I loved the flowers, but my bosses were not the easiest of folks to get along with. :-) I handled FTD orders on the phone and customers in the store -- and survived the longest Valentine's Day of my life (I think I worked something like 11 hours straight with no break!)

But yes, it was beautiful to be around flowers all the time -- I still recall the wonderful scent of cut flowers and how it felt to wrap them up in paper, fresh and cold from the cooler...