Monday, April 26, 2010

Homeschool Group Poem: Spring

I've been enjoying sharing poetry wherever I go this month. On Friday, I had a few minutes to share some springtime poems with our homeschool group. Then three of the girls (including the sweet girl) tried their hand at writing a poem together.

I love doing wordplay exercises with kids. These three girls, ages 6-10, had so much fun just playing with words. I liked seeing their eyes spark with creativity as we brainstormed ideas together. I loved catching their energy as they watched their web of words grow as I jotted them down on newsprint. I threw out all sorts of sensory and imagination sparking questions about spring: what does it look like? sound like? what are the colors of spring? if it had a taste, what would it taste like? if it was a girl dressing up for a party, what would she wear?

That last question really got them going. As the answers poured forth, so did the first line of their poem. I recognized it as soon as I heard it. And once that line came together, the rest of it tumbled out from them in excited exclamations. They watched their joint-poem grow on the page, and then all three of them proudly signed it.

Here's what they came up with:

Spring

Spring is a lady
with a leafy hat.
She dances with
the wind.
She sings and whistles
with the birds.
She bows with the trees
and sways with
the flowers.

~by S, A & A, three very creative girls!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Love this! Such a great image. You know, as I read this poem, it seems to me that Spring looks a lot like Luna Lovegood...

Beth said...

Hee! I hadn't noticed that! But they didn't give her radish earrings...

I had such fun doing the writing exercise with the girls. Kids can come up with such wonderful images.