Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Belated Birthday Greetings to Beverly Cleary

We are some of the biggest Beverly Cleary fans on the planet, so I don't quite know how we missed hearing that she celebrated her 95th birthday last week (on April 12). I've been catching up with tributes, and so far I think this New York Times article is my favorite. Here are five reasons why:

1) The great Louis Darling illustration of Ramona. I know other people have drawn her since, but Darling's Ramona will forever be Ramona for me.

2) New quotes from Cleary, who spoke with the reporter on the phone. And the blessing of knowing she is still well and able enough to speak so cogently with reporters!

3) The delight of knowing one of her own kids asked the Mike Mulligan question.

4) The article quotes Elizabeth Bird, one of our favorite librarians. And Leonard Marcus, wonderful children's lit historian.

5) The children's book editor who wrote the piece evoked the names Haywood, Estes, and Lovelace in the same sentence. Which is almost like reading a "who's who" of my daughter's favorite authors.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Yay! A grand tribute, and definitely an occasion to celebrate!

Beth said...

Indeed! We do love Beverly Cleary! :)