Monday, March 11, 2013

"The Bridge" (A Poem by Kaissar Afif)

The sweet girl and I have been journeying through Jordan on our geography Mondays. Today we were reading from The Space Between Our Footsteps, a collection of poems and paintings from the Middle East collected by Naomi Shihab Nye.

Some lovely poems in translation here, with some especially beautiful metaphors. I really liked this one:

The Bridge

Poetry is a river
And solitude a bridge.

Through writing
     We cross it,
Through reading

We return.

~Kaissar Afif (translated by Mansour Ajami) 



3 comments:

Erin said...

Ah, very lovely! :)

Beth said...

Isn't it? Lots of lovely poems in this collection!

YUSUF ERADAM said...

I have a poem in that collection too. "Stone for a Sling." I do not have the book with me now, could you please tell me what page this poem by Afif is on? Thank you.
All the best from Turkey,
Yusuf Eradam
www.yusuferadam.com